You've heard of fried green tomatoes, but what about baked green tomatoes? My friend gave me some green tomatoes from her neighbor's garden and I couldn't let them go to waste. I've enjoyed these twice now - one night with friends and another night for our camp in date night! You can use the same recipe and make zucchini fries as well! My friend had some fresh zucchini from her garden that she brought over for us to cook.
2 green tomatoes or 2 zucchini (or BOTH!)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (italian seasoned)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup egg beaters
olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Wash & slice the tomatoes & zucchini.
2. Pour the egg beaters in a small bowl. Dip the slices in the egg beaters.
3. Mix together some of the parmesan and panko crumbs. Roll the egg coated slices in the panko crumbs. Don't use all the panko crumb mixture at one time or they'll get gooey and stop sticking - just use a few tablespoons of the mixture at a time.
4. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil & coat the aluminum with olive oil cooking spray. Place the panko coated tomatoes and zucchini slices on the cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes. You want them to get browned on both sides.
Need some sauce to dip them in?
6 oz plain nonfat greek yogurt
3 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp horseradish sauce
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste